Since I have already done a post (See: Five Women ) on women that have impacted my life positively, now it’s the guys’ turn. In addition to the five women that have impacted my life, here are who I believe (as of this writing) are the top five men who have had the most impact on my current life thus far and why.
DISCLAIMER: Some of these names will be aliases (i.e.. not their real name) for anonymity and privacy reasons.
- my dad--He was there for me when I was born and through thick and thin. His work ethic and his willingness to serve and sacrifice for others have inspired me to do the same. As I said in an earlier post, he often works 10-hour shifts, at least five days a week. He sometimes works weekends as well. When he is at home, he doesn’t always lounge around and watch television all day but also helps my mom around the house. When I was discouraged about not achieving the desired result in school even though I had worked hard, he told me something like, “It’s OK, as long as you try your best. It’s better that you fail at something that you worked hard at than doing pretty well, but you don’t try your best.” This philosophy set the foundation for how I currently strive to approach my job. In fact, I have this philosophy to work hard at my job, “Whatever you do, do it with all your heart.” And my dad was a huge part of this mindset. (So if you read this, Dad, thank you.)
- my brother–Even though he is younger than me, he has had a huge impact on my life as well. He has pushed me to succeed because he always believed in me and that I could do better and better. When I was discouraged, he always took the time to talk to me and to encourage me. I was (and still am) always inspired by how innovative and creative he was and is. For instance, when something in our house broke, he was able to fix it just by ordering the right part. He also was able to figure out what exactly the problem was. Not only that, but he has a kind and generous heart. I can never outdo what he has given me, both materially and eternally.
- Frank Taylor–He was my former pastor, but he has taught me more about grace and humility than most anyone I know. For instance, when he said something that offended a few people, he didn’t try to justify what he said or make excuses for why they shouldn’t have been offended. He humbly and contritely made a written apology to the whole church. Also, even though at first I didn’t trust him because I didn’t know him well, he was patient in those times and didn’t try to force me to trust him. He still showed kindness and grace to me. Though he isn’t perfect, he still strives to be transparent and acknowledges his imperfections.
- My manager Chris* (*=NOT his real name)— Though I have only known him for the past year and a half, he has taught me so much. First of all, he has impacted my life because he interviewed me for my current job and was able to convince the Store Manager to grant me this job. Also, he has taught me so much about patience, the power of grace and forgiveness, and perseverance. He has offered to help me advance my career, while also respecting my life outside of work by giving me the days off that I need. I have discussed in this post what he has taught me.
- My favorite manager Tom* (*=not his real name)–He has taught me through his great example how to be a good manager. He has always been kind, generous in his estimation of me, and provides much-needed humor on stressful days. I have discussed in this post how Tom has qualities that we should all emulate. He also has helped me through some trials that I have had while working at my current job and has always encouraged me in my work.
These are the five amazing men who have most impacted my life so far. They all have had positive impacts on my life, without a doubt. Who are your top five men who have impacted your life? How? Why? Please feel free to discuss in the comments.