Disclaimer: Please, no disparaging comments about me or any of the commenters, or your comment will be deleted and blocked.
Most people have at least one thing that annoys them about life or about other people. These are the things that make us tick. However, as with most things, we can either let them ruin our day, or we can persevere despite them. I want to be able to constantly choose the latter. These pet peeves of mine may not be all exhaustive, but they are some of my major ones. A pet peeve is something someone finds annoying or unpleasant. Here are some of my pet peeves, why they annoy me, and how to avoid or cope with them.
- One of my major pet peeves is when someone tells me that they will do something, but then they don’t deliver on their promise.–I hate this because I feel like I am being lied to when people promise something but fail to do it. I know this is often not intentional, but it still hurts nonetheless. If you PROMISE me something, you had better do it if you don’t want to annoy or upset me. The exceptions are if you are sick or have a family emergency. Otherwise, do not promise me anything, or say something like, ” I will do x, God willing!, meaning if God allows it to happen, then you will do it.
- When people pretend to be someone or something that they are not.–Again, I hate when people are fake to me or pretend to be my friend to “make me feel better.” I would rather have someone tell me up front that they don’t like me than to be “fake-friends” with me. Note: You will not make me feel better unless your friendship and love is genuine and from the heart. If I find out that you are faking being nice to me, I will attempt to avoid interacting with you for a very long time! Just be real with me.
- When people don’t respect my (or other people’s ) property.–I hate when people rifle through my things or read personal stuff I wrote without my permission! That is just so disrespectful! If you want to read something that is personal, that is not on a public platform like this blog, ask first before even glancing at it! There may be a reason why it’s personal. Also, please don’t mess up my stuff. It is in a certain order for a reason so I can find everything without wondering where you put it. I also hate it when people do this to others! It just seems so invasive and unnecessary. Of course, I also hate it when people steal others’ (or my) stuff. If you really need something, ask first. Usually, I will either let you have it or let you borrow it. If the person doesn’t want to give x thing to you, respect that or ask someone else. Make an honest living. Never steal.
- The phrase, “Don’t do what I do, do what I say.”–This phrase irritates me to no end. It is often used as a cop-out by people in authority who don’t want to be held accountable for their actions, and it is often used to excuse hypocrisy. As you know from some of my other pet peeves, I hate when people are being fake and/or two-faced. I am a firm believer that your words and actions should match. If you are in a position of authority, never ever use this phrase for any reason if you want people to actually listen to you. Even seeing these words in print irritates me. Hearing them would be even worse, and is a huge turnoff to want to do anything you say to me. If one wants to be a good teacher, he or she must lead by example. Always and forever.
- When someone complains about a person, but they have never worked to resolve the issue or issues with him or her. —This annoys me because you are not only slandering and/or gossiping about him or her, but things will never get better. It is different if you have tried to resolve the issue, but the person won’t budge. I don’t want to hear about how x person is mean or nasty, but you have never tried to resolve the issue or really tried to find the best in that person. I say: Try to resolve the issue first then complain to people if the resolution doesn’t work.
- When scammers/telemarketers call and you have already asked them once to not call.— Dear any telemarketers here, I understand you must meet a quota and sell your things. However, if I ask you nicely once that I am not interested, do NOT call me 20 times to “hopefully change my mind.” Also, don’t call me when I am eating or having family time. It ruins the whole event. Also, I’ve made up my mind already. I don’t want to buy/am not interested in whatever you offer. Thank you and have a nice day.
- When technology doesn’t work.–I hate it especially when the computer freezes or access online is not possible. I know I may be *slightly* addicted, but I do need these things for a.) blogging b.) looking up my work schedule c.) ministering to others online or talking to friends that live 1,000 miles away from me. The only things I would suggest so that technology does work again is a.) Try to fix it yourself b.) call your Internet provider, and see if it is a problem with them c.) call a computer technician and pay to have it fixed.
- Slow or reckless drivers.--I don’t like it when drivers are, for instance, going 30 in a 45 mph speed limit road. First of all, it is unsafe to drive too slow (just as it is when you drive too fast). Second of all, all of us need to get to point B in a reasonable amount of time. Also, people who cut me off and almost hit my car and then speed off annoy me. I don’t mind it as much if you cut me off, but please be careful not to hit my car, ok? If you do, please take responsibility for what you have done and don’t speed off like it’s no big deal. It is a big deal. I need my car to be able to get to and from work on time. Be considerate.
These are just some of my pet peeves. What are some of yours, and how can we avoid pet “peeving” you? Please feel free to discuss in the comments.
13 thoughts on “My Pet Peeves (and how to avoid them!)”
I can relate to a few of these. I can’t stand a slow computer. My mac is about to get some help. It is toooo slow for me. 🙂
Oh yes! Me too. The joys of sloooow computers! Not!!!
Some of my pet peeves are definitely several that you mentioned. I don’t like drivers that drive too slow, especially on the highway on the left lane. That drives me insane!
Agreed. Slow drivers= not my cup of tea.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I can relate. LOL. One of my pet peeves is when people are late. Especially those perpetual late comers. We all have that one friend who is never on time.
A few minutes late, I can tolerate, but more than that gets old really fast!
My biggest pet peeve is people that just complain and complain about their life but they never work to change it and make it what they want! So frustrating!
Oh I hate when someone says they will do something, then don’t! Drives me nuts.
These are SO relatable. Especially the part about reckless drivers!
I can relate to most of these. Number 5 especially!
Too slow or fast drivers are definitely a pet peeve. I also HATE being told to shut up. It grinds my gears more than anything.
Thanks for sharing! I try not to let other people’s actions and words or random things affect me (Frozen’s “let it go” mantra is always in my head. haha), but your #1 is definitely something that is super frustrating for me. I think accountability is so important but many people do not value their promises, commitment to others, and time. Great post! Keep on being fabulous.
Haha I can totally relate to numbers 6,7 and 8!